Windcrest Light Up
Light Up Begins Saturday, December 2, 2023
The annual Windcrest Light-Up is a decades-old tradition in which residents decorate their homes with elaborate displays of holiday lights. We kick-off this tradition with the lighting of the Light-Up Tree at City Hall and continue with an evening event filled with, music, vendors, food, hot chocolate, and photos with Santa. The public is invited to drive along neighborhood streets to view the brightly-lit house displays.
The Windcrest Light-Up Contest is held to pick the most beautifully decorated homes in various judging categories. Winners and participants of the contest are highlighted on the Windcrest Light-Up Map. Windcrest residents, scroll down to register your address for the light-up contest and/or the Light-Up Map.
Each year citizens and visitors are welcome to nominate addresses for the 'Peoples Choice Award.' Voting for the Peoples Choice Award opens up December 2nd.
Light-Up Ends December 31st
2023 Light-Up Theme: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
Early this summer the City announced the theme for the Windcrest 2023 Light Up Season, “ ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas,” in honor of the 200th anniversary of the beautiful poem, “A Visit from St. Nicholas,” written by Clement Clarke Moore.
The narrative poem was first published anonymously in the Troy (New York) Sentinel on December 23, 1823. Since it has become a heartfelt tradition shared in many homes. The poem shares the story of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of Christmas, leading to the popularity of the figure of Santa Claus. We also learn about the eight magical reindeer who power St. Nicholas’ sleigh.
City management and leadership are looking forward to the artistic and light displays in honoring this holiday tradition. If you find yourself in need of lights to participate, even with just one string of lights, contact City Hall at 210-655-0022. We will be happy to share information with you on the “Light Up Sharing” program.
Mark your calendars for all the 2023 Light Up events. This year will be magical!
- Wednesday, November 15 | 6:30 PM: Dedication Tree Light Up honoring Windcrest Elementary School 60th Anniversary at Crestway & Jim Seal
- Tuesday, November 28 | 6:30 PM: Santa Jim Candy Cane Lane Light Up at Windway Island
- Saturday, December 2: Light Up - Kick Off Celebration at City Hall, 8601 Midcrown
- Light Up Market | 3:00PM
- Tree Lighting Ceremony | 6:30 PM
- Monday, December 11: Light Up Judging Night – Participants need to have lights on by dusk.
- Tuesday, December 12 | 6:30 PM: Mayor’s Light Up Bike Night – Time and meet up location to be announced soon.
- Saturday, December 16 | 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM: HO-HO-HO Market
Light Up Map - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT BE ON THE MAP: Monday, November 20, 2023 by 5 P.M.
Each year the City of Windcrest offers a map, for a donation to benefit the Windcrest Volunteer Fire Association and various city non-profits, featuring the locations of the "Light-Up" winners. Maps are available at various locations throughout the City during "Light-Up" season.
- Fire Administration Office, 8601 Midcrown Dr. 8 A.M. to 3 P.M. Monday to Friday
Each year the Windcrest Residents sign up to compete in the Windcrest Light-Up Contest. Here is a list of categories:
- Best Street and/or Cul-de-sac - The street and/or Cul-de-sac that has the best overall décor. (Each house in this entered in this category may also enter other “individual” categories)
- Craft/Best use of Homemade - Décor The overall best decorated house utilizing homemade decorations
- Best Multimedia - The best use of choreographed lights, sounds, movies, or animation.
- Best use of Inflatables - The House / Yard that has the best display consisting of inflatable decorations
- Religious - The best decorated home with a religious theme.
- Best Use of Lights - The house with the best use of lights.
- Most Welcoming - This is the home with the best decorated and most welcoming mailbox and/or, doorway and/or porch area
- Best Business - This is the Business with the best decorated business in the City of Windcrest
- Best in Show - This would be the overall best decorated house in the City of Windcrest.
- Best use of Theme - The house that best exhibits the best display consistent with the current year’s theme.
Back by popular demand
In 2020 the City of Windcrest launched the 1st ever People's Choice Award. People nominate their favorite decorated house in Windcrest. The house with the MOST nominations wins this years People's Choice Award.
ONLY ONE VOTE PER IP ADDRESS WILL BE ACCEPTED
Windcrest Light-Up and Market
Each year at the Windcrest Light-Up Kick-Off the City of Windcrest invites food and craft vendors to come out and set up for the evening at no charge. Vendor spaces are limited. The market sets up at the Windcrest City Hall parking lot
- December 2, 2023
- Market begins at 3:00 PM
- Official Light-Up Kick-Off begins at 6:00 PM
- City Hall Parking Lot, 8601 Midcrown Dr.
Become a vendor
Please email the light-up committee to become a vendor