The Office of the City Secretary received six (6) applications for consideration by City Council to fill the City Council Place 5 vacancy, unexpired term. These application have been reviewed and verified by the City Secretary to ensure each applicant meets the City qualification requirements and voter registration was verified. City Council will review the applications received by the City Secretary in an open public meeting and shall interview at least two applicants or more if necessary.
Each applicant was contacted and encourage to attached the next City Council meeting (CCM) on Monday, August 7, 2023 at 6 P.M. Each applicant received a instructions on and guidelines on what will take place on Monday, August 7 at the CCM, Procedure for Selecting Councilmember Replacement. Below outlines the process to be taken during the August 8, 2023 CCM.
During the Council Meeting - Prior to rank voting - Ordinance 2019-705(O)
- The applicants will be allowed the opportunity to address City Council for up to and not to exceed 2 minutes.
- Each applicant will be asked to address Council with a purpose statement/introduction – The City Secretary will announce the order of applicants by a random blind draw.
- After the applicant has addressed the Council, each Councilmember and the Mayor will ask the applicant a preapproved question.
- Once the final applicant has completed the interview, the voting process will commence.
Rank Voting Process - Ordinance 2022-024(O)
- City Council will be following the guidelines outlined in Ordinance 2022-024(O). The Ordinance refers to Boards and Commissions Appointments, however, City Council will use it for the selection of the Councilmember, Place 5, unexpired term vacancy.
- The City Secretary will distribute a ballot containing the name of each of applicants.
- The Councilmembers will rank four of the applicants -- 1st through 4th. The applicant will be awarded the following points based on ranking:
- 1st Choice – 4 Pts
- 2nd Choice – 3 Pts
- 3rd Choice – 2 Pts
- 4th Choice – 1 Pt
- 5th and 6th Choice – no pts awarded.
- The ranking sheets will be given to the City Secretary for scoring.
- The applicant with the most points will be selected for the Council Seat
- In the event there is a tie between two applicants, the mayor will break the tie.
Swearing in of Newly Appointed City Councilmember Place 5
- After the applicant with the highest collective points is determined, they will be immediately sworn in and take a seat at the dais at the August 7, 2023 CCM.
You may refer to the posted August 7, 2023 City Council meeting posted meeting agenda to view the applications received, City Council Meeting Agenda Posting 08.07.2023.