Preventing Family Violence

Please Tell the Investigating Peace Officer

  • If you, your child or any other household resident has been injured.
  • If you feel you are going to be in danger when the officer leaves or at a later time.

You have the right to ask the local law enforcement agency to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence; and apply to a court for an order to protect you (you should consult a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney or a private attorney).

The Court Can Enter an Order That

  • The abuser not commit further acts of violence
  • The abuser not threaten, harass or contact you at home
  • Directs the abuser to leave your household
  • Establishes temporary custody of children and directs the abuser not to interfere with the children or any property

A violation of certain provisions of court-ordered protection is a criminal offense.

Notice to Adult Victims of Family Violence

It is a crime for any person to cause you any physical injury or harm, even if that person is a member or former member of your family or household.

Resources for Victims of Abuse:

Battered Women's Shelter Hotline

  • Phone: 210-733-8810

Children's Shelter

  • Phone: 210-212-2500

Emergency Shelter for Men

  • Phone: 210-226-2291

Adult & Child Protective Services

Domestic Violence National Hotline

Bexar County District Attorney's Family Violence Unit

Hotline Assistance for Victims of Family Violence

Crime Victims Clearinghouse

  • Phone: 800-848-4284

Family Violence Legal Line

  • Phone: 800-374-HOPE (4673)

Legal Hotline for Texans (age 60 & Over)

  • Phone: 800-622-2520

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Texas Association Against Sexual Assault

  • Phone: 512-474-7190

Texas Council on Family Violence

back to homepage