Permits & Registration
How do I pull a permit?
- All permit applications must be submitted through our My Government Online! - Self Service Online Center.
- Learn how to apply for a permit (PDF), or add a project to your account (PDF)
Can I use my smart phone or tablet to apply online?
- Yes! Use the Mobile Version of our Self-Service Permitting Center.
What work requires a permit?
- New construction, remodel, alteration, and addition of a building,
- Dumpsters, fences, flatwork, irrigation, pools, and temporary or permanent Signs,
- Electrical, mechanical (air conditioning), plumbing, and utility work.
- Estate sale and garage sales
- A permit is also required to help protect Oak Trees from Oak Wilt. View the city ordnance on oak trees
- Any work listed, but not limited to, Sec. 103-58 of the Windcrest Code of Ordinances.
How much do permits cost?
- For a complete list of permit fees view the FY22-23 Master Fee Schedule and Fire Schedule
How do I pay for a permit?
- All fees can be paid through our Self-Service Permitting Center
- Use the Mobile Version of our Self-Service Permitting Center to pay using your smart phone or tablet!
- Learn how to pay for a permit (PDF)
How long will it take to get a permit?
- Applications will be received and processed within 24-48 business hours.
- Small building projects may take up to 3-5 days to be reviewed by the inspector.
- Large projects, such as new construction or remodels, may take up to 10 days for review.
- Please take into account the review time when planning your next project, otherwise you will be charged the $175 fee for expedited review.
- For emergency utility permits, email the emergency information, location of the project, type of utility service, and plans for review to the Permit Clerk and City Secretary. You may also reach the permit clerk at 210-655-0022 Ext. 2430.
What building codes has the City of Windcrest Adopted?
- The City of Windcrest has adopted the latest International Codes as published by the International Code Council Inc., including the International Energy Code.
Do I need an inspection?
- Yes, all work that is performed needs to be inspected to ensure that it is done in accordance with the applicable codes adopted by the City of Windcrest.
How do I request an inspection?
- Inspections must be scheduled through your permit/account by way of the Self-Service Permitting & Inspection Center (My Government Online!).
- Learn how to request an inspection (PDF)
- Requests must be submitted 24 hours in advance (Monday - Friday).
When will the Building Inspector come to inspect my work?
- Inspections are done Monday - Friday between 10:00AM and 2:00 PM
Please note, inspections will not be conducted on weekends or holidays.
Am I able to call the inspector?
- Our inspector can not have any outside contact with residents or contractors
- If you absolutely feel like you need to contact our inspector an large fee may be applied by BB Inspections per call
How do I register as a contractor with the City?
- Visit our Self-Service Permitting Center to register.
- You must provide your Certificate of Insurance and State-Issued Trade License (if applicable) along with a Valid ID to obtain your registration
- Registration must be done annually
- The registering fee is $20.00 (some contracts may be applicable for fee wavering)
- View the Contractor Registration Guide (PDF)
Do I need to be registered with the City to perform construction work in the City of Windcrest?
- Yes, all contractors are required to be registered with the City of Windcrest.
I'm a homeowner, can I obtain a permit for work being done to my property?
- A state licensed contractor MUST pull the permit for electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and irrigation work.
- If a contractor is being hired for all other work a permits MUST be pulled by the contractor.
- If the homeowner is performing the work, the homeowner will assume all liability for the work being performed and a permit MUST be pulled by the homeowner
How do I open a business in Windcrest?
- Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy
- Apply for a business registration
- Apply for a Food and/or Liquor Permit (if necessary)
Business Registration is required per our City Ordinance Article III, Sec. 18-19
Each business is required to register with the City annually
How do I renew my annual Business Registration?
- Complete the Business Registration and Food/Liquor Permit applications found on our Self-Service Permitting Center
How do I find out how a property is zoned?
- Check out our Zoning Map (PDF)
All applications can be completed through the Self-Service Permitting Center
*This is NOT the same as the Contractor Registration Application*
If you are registering as a contractor view the Contractor Registration Tab.