Public Records Request
The Public Information Act
Texas Government Code, Chapter 552, gives you the right to access government records; and an officer for public information and the officer’s agent may not ask why you want them. All government information is presumed to be available to the public. Certain exceptions may apply to the disclosure of the information. Governmental bodies shall promptly release requested information that is not confidential by law, either constitutional, statutory, or by judicial decision, or information for which an exception to disclosure has not been sought.
COVID-19 Message Update
In an effort to protect our staff the City of Windcrest City Hall was closed March 17 - May 15, 2020. The temporary closure of the office and limited staff working during this period suspended responses to open records and Police Report records in accordance with Texas Attorney General’s. If your request was submitted during the closure timeframe, the calculation of day will be on Monday, May 18. Our actions are in compliance with the Attorney General’s calculation of days as reflected below.
"In order to provide additional clarification regarding the calculation of business days during the state response to the coronavirus, governmental bodies should consider the following guidelines when calculating business days:
- Holidays observed by the governmental body are not business days.
- Weekends are not business days.
- Skeleton crew days are not business days.
- A day on which a governmental body’s administrative offices are closed is not a business day.
- If a governmental body has closed its physical offices for purposes of a public health or epidemic response or if a governmental body is unable to access its records on a calendar day, then such day is not a business day, even if staff continues to work remotely or staff is present but involved directly in the public health or epidemic response."
Please feel free to reference the Texas A.G. Catastrophe Notice here.
Submitting a Request
Make an internet based open records request, otherwise the City of Windcrest offices are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday (excepting holidays).
If you would like to submit an open records request in person, you can download and print out the form (PDF).
If you would like to request a copy of an Accident Report you may obtain the report directly from the State of Texas Department of Transportation website.