How to Join
Volunteer With the Windcrest Fire Department
The application process to volunteer for the Windcrest Fire Department is as follows:
***Applications can be obtained from the Windcrest Fire Department Administrative Offices located inside Windcrest City Hall at 8601 Midcrown Drive, Windcrest, TX 78239***
- Access to the newest equipment, apparatus, progressive tactics, and professional development
- Obtain a Texas Commission on Fire Protection Basic Structural Firefighter, and the EMT-Basic National and State Certifications.
- Eligible for tuition exemption at select state colleges and universities under HB 2604. Read more about HB 2604
- The City of Windcrest also pays into a volunteer pension plan that is administered by the Texas Emergency Services Retirement System (TESRS). This program provides a lifetime pension after your vesting period has been met.
- volunteer & paid firefighters are given a $400 yearly uniform allowance after the completion of their probationary year.
- 0-3 Months - Firefighter Cadet
- During this time, the cadet is working on the completion of their task books for both fire and medical
- This is required to be completed in 3 months, with the possibility of one 3-month extension if deemed necessary
- 3-12 Months - Probationary Firefighter
- During this time, the cadet phase has been successfully completed and the probationary firefighter is scheduled for the online portion of their in-house fire academy
- The probationary firefighter is now able to stay overnight and pull shifts with the on-duty crews
- 12 months+
- After successful completion of the above timeline, you are now considered a full member of the department and eligible for outside training opportunities.
- At this point, you will be scheduled for the completion of your EMT-Basic certification course through the department
- You are now also eligible for membership in the Windcrest Volunteer Fire Association