Sexual Assault Information

View the Sex Offender Registry provided by SMART

What is the difference between sexual assault and rape?

There is no difference. Sexual assault and rape refer to sexual intercourse against the will of another person. However, under Texas law, "sexual assault," is the legal term used to define and prosecute not consensual sexual acts. Consenting sex requires sober and verbal communication without intimidation or threats.

What is date rape?

Acquaintance assault, commonly known as "date rape," occurs when someone you know forces you to have sexual intercourse against your will.

What can you do if you have been raped?

  • Go to a safe place
  • Call someone you trust to be with you
  • Call the local or campus police
  • Don't shower, bathe or douche after the attack
  • Seek care at a hospital
  • Preserve other physical evidence such as clothing
  • Consider filing charges against your attacker

How can the Windcrest Police Department help me if I am a victim?

Reporting an assault DOES NOT mean that the victim MUST press charges or take the case to criminal trial. After the assault has occurred, the Windcrest Police Department will take you to the hospital and will arrange for a rape crisis counselor to be with you at all stages of the investigation. If you prefer anonymity, the Windcrest Police Department can report the crime under a pseudonym and the crime will be prosecuted without revealing your name. 

Even if a victim has not decided whether to press charges, calling the police and going to the hospital will allow for his/her emotional or medical needs to be cared for and will preserve the option of the victim to press charges.

Remember: Sexual assault is a crime and victims should NOT feel ashamed about the actions of a rapist. If you feel victimized, talking with a counselor or friend can help you understand your feelings. You don't have to be alone.

  1. How to Help a Victim
  2. Sex Offender Registration
  3. Your Rights

If you know someone who has been a victim of rape, you may notice that the person seems to act differently; withdrawn, afraid or unsure. They may feel angry or upset.

What Can You Do?

  • Listen. A good counselor or friend knows how to listen and not speak. Concentrate your energy and attention on their feelings, not your own. 
  • Try not to judge. "If I had been in your situation, I would have..." "Why did you go in there?" 
  • Avoid "fixing" your friend. Help your friend make a list of options and let her/him decide what to do (even if you don't agree with it). 
  • Don't rush the healing process just to make yourself more comfortable. People need time to heal. Be patient. 
  • Encourage your friend to seek help from a counselor where the services are professional, confidential and free (i.e.: Counseling and Mental Health Center, San Antonio Rape Crisis Center). As a loved one of a rape survivor, you may also desire counseling and advice.